Translate

Thursday, February 13, 2014

How to Make a Bench Block Pillow

For a long time I have been using a piece of rubber under my bench block.  In preparation for going to Bead Fest and the hammering in the classes I am registered for I need a real bench pillow.
This is how I made my new pillow:

Materials:
1/4 yard suede fabric
Lining fabric  (I used an old sheet)
Thread
Sand
BB's

I found suede fabric which doesn't ravel in Hobby Lobby.  It is $9.99 a yard-I only needed 1/4 yard so my cost for the fabric is very reasonable-$2.50-which is enough to make four pillows.

This is the fabric-front and back....


Measure your bench block -is it 2 x 2 or 4 x 4 or another random size?  Draw a pattern of the shape and then add 1" to each side.  I rounded my corners making it easier to turn inside out.
This is my pattern..


Using the pattern, cut two from both the suede fabric.  With right side to right side, sew 1/4" seam around the edge leaving a space open from corner to corner to turn right side out and to insert the lining bag.  I double stitched the seam.  Turn inside out.

Cut two from the lining fabric.  With right side to right side, sew 1/4" seam around the edge leaving a space open to turn right side out.  After turning inside out, stitch close to the edge of the bag.

Place the lining bag inside the cover and fill with a mixture of dry sand and BB's.  Pin the opening and stitch closed twice.
Insert the filled bag inside the cover,pin the opening closed and stitch the opening twice.

My finished bench pillow....

No comments:

Post a Comment